Wednesday, February 4, 2009

“If you don't have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me!”


I know it’s another movie reference blog, but this too is important staple in any Belle’s life, Steel Magnolias. We were raised in church being taught the ethic of reciprocity, the Golden Rule “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you,” and “if you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.” Well I know that gossip can be harmful, but I am a firm believer that it is not GOSSIP if it is TRUE. If in fact you are being truthful, then all of your opinions on the matter are just conversation amongst friends. Don’t you agree? I love the quote by Clairee in Steel Magnolias “If you don’t have anything nice to say about anybody, come sit by me.” Not that I love bashing my friends, but I love hearing about other people. Maybe it’s because my life is boring, maybe it’s because it makes me feel better about myself, or maybe the elastic is shot in my pantyhose? Whatever the reasoning, something that is innate in all humans, us Southerners just have taken and ran with.

Now, southern gossip can be detrimental to one’s reputation. One flapping tongue in Jackson, MS can pick up the phone and tell Lilly Beth that Sue Ellen’s husband is sleeping with the babysitter and she can eat a pound cake in under a minute, and the phone tree begins! All said, don’t spread gossip, true or not, if it could ruin someone’s life that just is very unbecoming of a Belle…..well unless another “Belle” is sleeping with your husband or your best friends husband…..then all bets are off.

And no matter what always remember…
· “I have a strict policy that nobody cries alone in my presence.”
· “I love ya more than my luggage
· ”The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.”
· “I worship the quicksand you walk on”
· “Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion”
· “There is no such thing as natural beauty”

And most importantly…..
Smile! It increases your face value

I may not be the Poet Laureate of Dogwood Lane but I guess Stockton Place will have to do……

Until next time,
Hugs and Kisses Y’all
Sister-Belle

No comments:

Post a Comment